Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summer Grillin'

Nothing says summer to me like grilling. I love grilled vegetables. And I especially love them when they are fresh out of the garden. We have a huge garden at my mom's house. This year we have planted: 3 summer squash plants, 6 tomato plants, 4 broccoli plants, 2 zucchini plants, 4 green bell pepper plants, 4 cucumber plants, red beets, parsley, and lettuce. And the rhubarb and horseradish grows naturally every year too. Whew! It's a lot right? :) When I was growing up we had three separate gardens, 1 in our yard, 1 in our neighbor's yard, and one at my grandparents house. My dad loved having a vegetable garden. He would end up giving away a lot of the vegetables away, but he just liked to watch them grow. My mom canned and froze a lot of vegetables when we were growing up too. I can remember sitting on the back porch and snapping beans and shelling peas. It seemed endless back then, probably because it was part of our chores before we were allowed to go out and play.

The other night we got our first summer squash and so I decided to grill it up. I just tossed it with some olive oil and salt and pepper.

I then added some baby carrots and some cherry tomatoes.

I put them in one of those really cool grilling woks. Way cool!!!

There will many more pictures of the yummy veggies coming this summer.

Let me know if you have a vegetable garden and what veggies are your favorite and what you like to do with them.

1 comment:

  1. We don't have a garden. Wish we did though.

    I love grilled and saute'd veggies. My 12 yr. old daughter has started fixing them recetnly. Our favorite mix is yellow and zucchini squash, red/yellow or orange peppers and mushrooms! Yum-O!!! We could eat that every day.

    ReplyDelete