Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Scalloped Oysters!

I love oysters and make this Scalloped Oyster side dish . My one brother actually requests it every Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is so so simple, yet so so good. Seriously it is fab-u-lous!!!

Here's what you do.

You first melt 1/4 lb. (that's 1 stick of butter) in a skillet. Next you take 1 cup of crushed saltine crackers and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and add that to the skillet, mixing completely with the melted butter.

Put half of the cracker mixture on the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish.

Drain 1 pt. of fresh oysters. Make sure you save the liquid.

Place the oysters in a single layer on top of the cracker mixture. Sprinkle with salt.

Use 1 tbsp. of cream or evaporated milk and mix with 2 tbsp. of the oyster liquid. Also throw in a few dashes of Tabasco sauce. I shake the bottle of Tabasco about 3-4 times. It really depends on your preference for the spicyness you like. Spoon this liquid mixture over the oysters. I always reserve about 1 cup extra of the oyster liquid and about 1/2 -3/4 cup of cream and mix that with more Tabasco and then I have it to sprinkle on the next day before reheating them. It just moistens it more.

Place the other half of the cracker mixture over the oysters.

Bake in a 325 degree oven for 25 minutes.

That's it!!! Fab-u-lous!!! Really, to die for!!! Once you make these for one holiday, believe me, they will started being requested for every holiday!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not an oyster fan, but I would definitely try this!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ps. thank you for your sweet comments. They mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek. There's just no way I could make it. However, if you made it and had it for dinner I'd definitely try it.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I have never had oyster except I think I had some in dressing before. We are home alone this Thanksgiving and the kids are all with the in-laws but they will all be here for Christmas!

    So we are eating a pork loin tonight and enjoying the quiet rain.
    Hope you are having a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete