Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Loaded Sweet Potatoes

Have you ever gone to a steakhouse and gotten the delectable, delicious and oh so scrumptious loaded sweet potato? You can easily make these at home and they are so much cheaper. Ha! I made these for dinner tonight. It so quick and so simple!

All you do is take a sweet potato and jag holes all over it with a fork. Then wrap it in a paper towel and put it in the microwave for 10 minutes. Take it out and cut it lengthwise and squeeze open, put some butter and brown sugar on it and that's it! Yuuuuuummmmoooooo! Seriously this is so incredibly good. You can easily get your kids to eat these potatoes. They are healthy and nutritious too. You don't have to add that much butter and brown sugar to make it sweet and yummy. They have a natural sweetness to them. I make these all the time. OMG, really, really good!

I also made some brussel sprouts. These get a bad rap. True, when I was little I didn't like them either. One time we were at a neighbor's house for dinner and I snuck mine into a napkin and then excused myself to the bathroom and flushed them all down the toilet. I got in trouble for that one. Ha! Now, I am a big fan though. Years ago, I dated this guy Dan and he had me make them for dinner and I couldn't believe how good they were. I've been a fan ever since. They are easy too. I just cut the end off and peel a little bit of the leafy part off. Then put them into a pot of boiling water. Once the leaves start to fall off a little bit they are usually done. I also stick a fork into them to make sure they are soft. Then I take them out and put a little butter on them and some parmesean cheese and that's it! Fab-u-lous! Seriously, they are sooooo good and OMG! let's just talk about how stinkin' healthy they are!! You've got to try them. You really do. I promise you will like them.

I also made a quick salad. I've been trying to eat more vegetables (at least 2-3 with each meal) and so I just threw together some spinach, roma/cherry tomatoes, shredded part skim mozzarella, and some slivered almonds. That's it. So easy and so good.

A totally veggie meal tonight. What fresh veggies to you make on a regular basis and how do you prepare them?

1 comment:

  1. Boyd loves sweet potatoes. I'm glad since they are so healthy. I'm just learning to like them. I can't get used to brussel sprouts. I've tried them a million different way. Your salad looks yum!

    I love your enthusiasm in all of your posts. You make me smile. :)

    We do more frozen and canned veggies, than fresh. We do salads a lot. We do love fresh squash, sauteed in a little butter.

    ps. saw your comment just now on my blog. Pecans are crazy expensive here too. I paid $7 for those today, and it's not even a pound. I only got 12 oz! ridiculous. I heard that it's partly weather related, and the fact that the Japanese (i think) have a new love for pecans, and so we are having a shortage. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete