Saturday, November 6, 2010

Porkchops and Applesauce...That's Swell

Sorry for being incognito for the past month. I lost my job and am moving back home to Pennsylvania. While I am extremely happy about moving back closer to my whole family and friends, I wish it would have happened differently.

Okay, well Peter Brady had it half right with the applesauce. A couple of weeks ago I made my annual homemade applesauce. If you remember reading from last year's post I love to make my own applesauce. Yes, I know I could easily buy it, but mine tastes so much better!!!! Seriously, you should make your own and then you'll understand. Plus it is super simple.

First I washed off of my apples.

Then I slice them all. I tried to use my Pampered Chef Apple Slicer and that worked for some of the apples but the majority of them were way too large and I kept getting the apples stuck in the slicer (not fun!). So, for the larger ones you can just slice and core them yourself.

Then, I put all of the apple slices in a huge pot of water and turn the burner on high. I let them boil for about 10-20 minutes until they get soft.

Next, I use a food mill to get the skin off of the apples. Trust me on this one, it is MUCH easier to boil the apples and get them soft so the skin just peels off, rather than peel them all by hand ahead of time. That's a big waste of time plus you run the risk of wasting so much of the apple in the peeling process. So anyway, you take a bunch of the boiled apple slices and place them in the food mill and then take the wooden utensil and swirl it around the food mill and the apple sauce falls out the bottom and the skins stay inside. So Simple!!! Amazing! I don't think you can even buy these anymore.

Finally, you have this wonderful container of applesauce. I add in some of the Cinnamon Red Hots and some Cinnamon. That's it! Soooo simple and yet so fab-u-lously delicious!!!!!!

Do any of you make your own applesauce and if so, how do you make yours?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting. So sorry to hear about your job, but I know you will enjoy moving closer to your family. Glad you are back posting on your blog. I will definitely say a prayer for you. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina! So glad to see you back on board blogging! Love your new look also!!! So cute! Sorry about your job but I do think it is important to be near some family if at all possible. It is just good for your soul! What will you be doing now?

    A warm feeling came over me when I saw your food mill that you made applesauce with! It it the exact same one my mother had and used when I was little! What memories...wish i had kept hers!

    She always made applesauce and it was great-tasting! Yours looked tasty too!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy!

    I am SO sorry about your job. I really am. I know it must be hard on you right now. Please email me if you need/want to chat. I am glad you will be moving back to family though. Praying for you during this difficult time! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. I can't believe you made your own applesauce! It looks amazing. And all the gadgets you have in your kitchen - AWESOME!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting - you have some really great stuff on here, can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete