Wednesday, April 7, 2010

No Devil in These Eggs

For most holidays and picnics my family has deviled eggs. Others tell me this is strange to have deviled eggs for holiday meals, but we've always done it. And I love deviled eggs so I have no problem with it. :) Why are they called Deviled Eggs???

They really are simple to make too. You hard boil some eggs. In case you don't know how do this, just put some eggs in to a pot of water, bring to a boil and then cover and turn off the burner and let sit for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I usually run cold over them so they get cool enough to touch. So, under cold running water just peel the eggs. On a side note, I heard that if you buy the eggs a week or two before you are going to use them, they are easier to peel. So, make them when they are a little bit old. Strange, I know, but true. :)

Once you have the eggs peeled, cut them in half lengthwise and take out the yolks.

Once the yolks are out of all the eggs, mix the yolks with mustard and mayonnaise. I don't have exact measurements for this, I just do it by taste. I would say to start out with a smaller amount and taste it and then you can add more if need be.

Once you have that all mixed, then take a spoon and fill the egg halves with the yolk mixture. You then sprinkle with paprika. It just takes a little bit of paprika. :) I sometimes also like to put a slice of olive on top. It gives them a special extra flavor. Mmmmm...they are sooooo good!! What do you like on top of your deviled eggs?

There are a ton of pretty deviled egg dishes I've seen in various stores. This one has been in our family forever. I don't ever remember my mom using another one. It's really pretty.

2 comments:

  1. That is a really pretty dish. We have a clear glass one.

    I love deviled eggs. I have the hardest time peeling eggs though. I will try your trick next time.

    We put mustard, mayo and sweet relish in ours. We also sprinkle with paprika. We had some this Easter too. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always have Deviled Eggs at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've never thought it was weird. This is one food that's taken me a while to like. But I've always enjoyed making them.

    ReplyDelete