Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Hills are Alive with Aebleskiver

Okay, I know it is a weird name. I call it edelweiss like the song from the Sound of Music. You know the one the Captain sings. It's a beautiful song. Thus I digress though, a couple of weekends ago I went over to my friends Kim & John's house for aebleskiver. I had no idea what this food was, but all I heard was danish and I was so totally sold! Mmmmmm...danish donut holes. Sounds delish!!


They were really good. You basically dip them in sugar or jelly! I tried both (as you can see in the photo) and they were equally fab-u-lous!! I think I did the sugar better, but the jelly was by no means unlikeable. :)

They were really easy to make too. Here is what you do:
  1. In a clean glass or metal bowl, beat 2 egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak. Set aside.
  2. Mix together 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, baking soda, 1 tbsp. sugar, 2 egg yolks, 4 tbsp. melted butter and 2 cups buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites last.
  3. Put about 1tablespoon of vegetable oil in the bottom of each aebleskiver pan cup and heat until hot. Pour in about 2 tablespoons of the batter into each cup. As soon as they get bubbly around the edge, turn them quickly (Danish cooks use a long knitting needle, but a fork will work). Continue cooking, turning the ball to keep it from burning.
The aebleskiver pan cups are really cute. I have seen them in the Williams Sonoma catalogs a lot lately! Who woulda thunk it?

So, have you heard of aebleskiver? Have you ever tried them? Will you try them now?

Hey I just thought, it is Fat Tuesday and also Faschnaut Day (Donut Day in Pennsylvania) and so these are kinda like donuts and perfect!!

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the ableskiver! Hurry up and feel better soon so you can get back to blogging Nina. Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to tell you we made the pumpkin pancakes this morning. BEST PANCAKES I'VE EVER HAD! Thank you again. I will post about them tomorrow.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! I'm so sorry you have been sick. I hope you are all better. I hate to hear that. It's been a yucky winter.

    I'm glad you liked the coffee. :))

    I got the bunny/chick marshmallows at Dollar Tree. Do you have one there? I love that place. Let me know if you don't have a Dollar Tree....

    ReplyDelete