Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Grandma Reed's Stuffed Peppers

These are not like your average stuffed green peppers. There is no hamburger, no rice and no tomato sauce. I had actually never heard of stuffed green peppers made with hamburger, rice and tomato sauce until a couple of years ago. I was at a restaurant and ordered the stuffed peppers and when they came to the table I looked down at my plate and wondered if they mixed up my order with someone else's. They said no. Hmmmm, strange. You see, the stuffed green peppers I always had growing up were made with bread, cheese and butter and then cooked in chicken noodle soup. Yep! It is fab-u-lous!!! So so good!!!!! And it is how my grandma Reed always made them and how my mom made them too.

First you cut off the top of some green peppers so they can sit upright on their own.

Then you dice up some bread or you can tear it apart. How much you use really depends on how many green peppers you have. I had eight and I used about half a loaf of bread.

You then dice up some sharp cheddar cheese. I just buy a block of the Kraft Sharp Cheddar Cheese.

Then melt some butter. Again, how much you need depends on many peppers you have. I like mine cheesy too. :)

Mix everything together in a bowl and add in some salt and pepper. Stuff the green peppers with the stuffing mixture. I also add a piece of cheese to the top of each pepper.

Next, in a large on pot on top of the stove, cook a can of chicken noodle soup with one can of water. Set the stuffed green peppers down in the chicken noodle soup so they are sitting upright. Cover with a lid. Cook for about 15 minutes or so. The peppers should be somewhat soft and the cheese on top should be melted.

Put on a plate and pour some chicken noodle soup over the top. OMG!!!! It is sooooooo good!! You've got to try them like this. Seriously, tell me you're going to make them tomorrow night because you know it sounds so good, right?

2 comments:

  1. Those look great! might have to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those do look delicious! The chicken noodle soup is such an interesting twist to me. I will remember this recipe. I have not made stuffed peppers in ages! I usually cheat and buy the pre-made, frozen ones...

    Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete